Barbour County Courthouse

This monumental public building was designed in 1901 by Architect J. Charles Fulton of Pennsylvania.  It personifies the then fashionable Romanesque Revival style.  Of solid masonry construction this two-and-one-half story modified rectangular structure is set upon a raised basement.

An unusual sense of weight and mass is conveyed by a colossal offset tower and by additional prominences in the form of sleepy pitched wall dormers and an octagonal turret.  The floors are concrete reinforced with iron.  The building’s finish is magnificent coursed quarry-faced ashlar of striated Cleveland Sandstone.

Maintaining the integrity of both the design and construction of this notable building was paramount to the Barbour County Commission.  Renovations to the offices of the Sheriff, Prosecutor, and Assessor accommodated the new technology and lighting requirements their work requires.  Both the public and courthouse staff are now served by an elevator, accessible interior routes through the building, increased security and an exterior ramp.

The deteriorating front stairs and entry tiles were carefully redesigned by WYK Associates, Inc. to bring this grand entrance back to its previous grandeur.